The Current Crisis: Not Enough Air Tankers
- A National crisis exists, the fleet of air tankers that can be called up to assist Fire Agencies has dwindled from 44 to only 17 in the last few years. Agencies have tried to fill the void with SEATs and Helicopters, however range and capacity are limited. Gone are the days of large air tankers carrying 3,000+ USG.
- In 2012, 52% of the requests for Airtankers were DENIED funding.
- In 2013, Heavy Air Tankers set new records with a 1,057 flights!!!
- Due to this crisis, air attack is limited and takes days to mobilize air tankers from airbases to the fire location.
- Air National Guard MAFFS units set New Records – 922 sorties.
- Fire growth cannot be controlled, fires are exploding in the first 24hrs, consuming thousands of additional acres increasing losses and costs.
- In 2014, the Pacific Northwest experienced record breaking fires!!!
- Over 1.5 Million Gallons of Retardant dropped!!! How much did that cost? Gel is 50% less than Retardant!!!
- Drought Conditions, along with high temperatures are creating the perfect recipe for Mega Fires!!!
- Global Wildfire Events continue to burn out of control and thousands of homes are lost each year!!!
Wildfires in the United States
- Studies conducted by NOAA and several universities all conclude that rising temperatures will likely cause more wildfires across North America and Europe over the next 30 years.
- Scientists using NASA satellite data and climate models have projected drier conditions likely will cause increased fire activity across the United States in coming 3 decades.
- In 2012, 9,326,238 acres burned nationally, 128% of the national 10-year average.
- The US Forest Service spent $580M to combat wildfires.
- Over $5Billion in losses…Lives, Homes, Property, Livestock, Agriculture, and Environmental; scarring, flooding and deforestation.
- In 2012-2013, ANG C-130 crew members & 19 Hotshots died in the line duty.
- Too Many Lives Lost to date with existing practices.
PCADS – Next Generation Direct Attack
- PCADS will allow ANG and DoD Military Medium to Heavy Lift Platforms the capability to direct attack wildfires at safe altitudes, air dropping directly on the wildfire head on, attacking it, unlike the traditional tankers of today.
- PCADS will directly suppress the wildfire, cooling it and reducing the growth potential. PCADS allows operators to basically carpet bomb the wildfires. PCADS can operate in high winds, day or night!!!
- PCADS deploys the “RAIN” at 150-250AGL no matter drop AGL using propriety rigging configurations.
- PCADS opens the operational envelope by increasing the aircraft pool. ANG and USAF/AMC have 100’s of C-130’s and crews ready today.
- Fire Suppression International – Joint Venture for Key Turn PCADS Operations -Domestic & International
PCADS can typically increase the fire fighting capacity of any compatible transport airframe using standard methods.
C-130A, E, H
1,000 USG advantage over MAFFS, MAFFSII or RADS tanks
2,000 USG advantage over MAFFS, MAFFSII or RADS tanks
no comparable system currently exists
600 USG advantage over Bambi Buckets